A Sub-flow is, unlike regular Flows with either User Intent Triggers or Prompt Triggers, not triggered by user inputs nor script expressions; Sub-flows are activated using Flow Links in a regular Flow which then refers to the Sub-flow.
When a Flow Link points to a Sub-flow, the currently active Flow will stay active after the Sub-flow is executed; that is to say the regular Flow is executed first up to the Flow Link, then the Sub-flow runs and, when completed, the control returns to the regular Flow to continue execution.
Create new Sub-flow
To create a Sub-flow in Teneo Studio Desktop, follow the below steps:
- In the top ribbon of the Home tab, click the lower part of the Flow button
- Select Sub-flow
- The Sub-flow window opens the backstage view on the Properties tab, add the Name of the Sub-flow
- Optionally, add a Description
- Click the green Play icon or the back arrow in the top left corner to go to the main Sub-flow window
- Select the Output node, give the Output node a Name and optionally add a Description and Hyperlink
- Then, click the Answer text field and write the conversational AI application's response in the field
- Remember to Save the flow to conserve the modifications.
- Now, in a parent flow, add a Flow Link node to the Sub-flow
Change Flow to Sub-flow
To change a regular Flow to a Sub-flow, with the Flow open, simply click the Sub-flow button in the top ribbon of the Flow; this will convert the Trigger node into a Sub-flow node.